Stained teeth are no doubt unsightly and severely hamper an otherwise beautiful smile. Irregular lifestyle, too much of addiction to tea, caffeine or smoking result in nasty stains on teeth which cause many to look for teeth whitening aides. Baking soda is a handy help for teeth whitening given its abrasive properties. The abrasive nature of sodium bicarbonate works to remove the unsightly stains from the teeth surface- assuring you whiter & brighter results. The post below describes different baking soda for teeth whitening procedures.
Make a mix of baking soda & water
Mix up half teaspoon baking soda with equal quantity of water in a clean cup. Form a smooth paste and dip a toothbrush into it. The bristles must be all-covered with the soda-water paste. You can also dip your wet toothbrush directly into raw sodium bicarbonate powder- but remember, the taste would be too strong.
• You must use the paste to brush teeth for 1-2 minutes but not more than that as otherwise you might end up eroding the teeth enamel. There is no special instruction here but make sure to get the bristles into every crack & crevice of your mouth.
• Then spit out baking soda & rinse the mouth thoroughly with water. The toothbrush should get a good rinse too.
• You would have to repeat this procedure every alternate day for around couple of weeks. Baking soda assures a fast action and whitening results could be witnessed within 7-8 days.
• After the two weeks, you must reduce the soda application to just 1-2 times a week. As mentioned earlier, baking soda is abrasive & hence should not be used too frequently after the initial phase.
• Continue brushing with your regular toothpaste in the meantime.
Mix baking soda & hydrogen peroxide
There is another process of using baking soda for teeth whitening, where you mix it with the hydrogen peroxide. Mix up 1 teaspoon baking soda with ½ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide & form a smooth paste. Then dip your toothbrush into the blend & brush with it. Allow the mix to stay on teeth for couple of minutes. Then, rinse thoroughly with water.
• While getting the hydrogen peroxide, make sure it comes with 3 percent solution as it assures a safe oral use.
Baking soda & lemon juice
Baking soda could be blended with line juice to ensure effective teeth whitening results. The very citric property of lime acts as wonderful bleaching agent which is great for successful and quick teeth whitening. Mix ½ teaspoon lime juice (fresh) with equal quantity baking soda to get a fine paste. Then, brush the teeth with the blend & don’t wash the mouth for a minute. After that get a thorough rinse.
However, you should be careful not to use this method frequently as citric acid could lead to corrosive results for your teeth on too much of application. Limit it to once or maximum twice a week.
Baking soda & toothpaste
You can also make a mix of baking soda & your everyday toothpaste for excellent teeth whitening results. Just sprinkle some soda powder on your toothpaste laden toothbrush and brush the teeth with it. Then rinse your mouth as usual.